Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Declaration

I just finished reading 182 pages of The Declaration by Gemma Malley. It takes place in 2140 and in that time people never die because someone found a cure for death. Because nobody ever dies, the population got to big so nobody is allowed to children anymore. However, some people break those rules and have children anyway. If they are got, then there kids are brought to a Surplus House ( the children are called surpluses) and they basically train these Surpluses to become servents or slaves. The book circles around a girl named Anna who thinks that she has no right to live, yet she tries her hardest to be the best Surplus ever.  One day a surplus who is in his late teens is caught and he makes her question if they way she is living is right, and if people really have the right to treat her so awful.  I really enjoy the book so far. The way they treat the surpluses is awful because they make them feel like it's their fault that they were born and that they don't deserve to live. But it's really interesting because it makes me wonder what life may be like in the future. Our population is already pretty big, so I wonder if it will ever get big enough that having children will be illegal. I hate the way that society treats the surpluses but it also draws me in because I know that they are going to eventually stick up for themselves.  This is also a series, so I am so excited to finish the first book and read the next 2. " My name is Anna and I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't exist." I feel like this line is so powerful because people actually convinced these kids to think that they are worthless and its all there fault. It makes me wonder if people are mostly cruel or not. I would definitely recommend this book to people  because I feel like this could be the next big series after Twilight and The Hunger Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment